We live in crazy times. Each time I open CNN (which I KNOW I should not type that into my browser.. but I can’t help it) my stomach drops.
Oh, you too?
Yeah, I know I’m not alone.
Maybe you’re reading important Op-Ed pieces.
Maybe you are cleaning out your closets and burning your shoes.
Maybe you are showing up for protests and teaching your kids how to make homemade signs.
Maybe you are sharing viral videos with the hopes of likes and comments and conversation.
Maybe you are angry, hurt, scared and turning hateful instead of hopeful.
My spinning head can not keep up with headlines, hurting hearts, and heavy reminders of the work we have yet to do.
A friend of a friend wrote this article drawing upon the lessons from Harry Potter in this era of Trump. I, too, was eleven when Harry meekly came onto the scene, gaining power in his own abilities, his skills, and his uniqueness.
His voice taught my generation to resist opression, darkness and death eaters, much like Malia says, with our own ordinary abilities.
I’m not shouting on streets and I’m not making signs. I am clicking on articles and watching disheartening videos, and I’m swirling with how do I, a perfectly ordinary person, resist this?
With whispers of beautiful things.
I’ve decided for the month of September to invite you, my readers, to join me in making lists of things going well in your life right now. Yes, it may feel a total shit show out there, but in my house, my world is calm. Imperfect, but calm.
I believe we can create peace if we start in our hearts, refusing to believe the doom and gloom and crazy chaos of an aching world is all there is.
No, I’m not discounting the craziness, nor am I naively saying that making lists of good and beautiful things makes things better. It can, however, make things bearable.
Interested in joining the resistance?
Send me a list of five to ten things going right in your world and I’ll share it on the blog. You can scratch it down on paper, shoot me an email at 52beautifulthings at gmail dot com or leave a comment here.
Think a gratitude list mixed with a light saber to fight off the darkness.
I’ll go through the month of September. I’m hoping for 1000 total beautiful things. That means 100 people have to send me a list of 10 items.
- There’s food in my fridge
- Grocery stores and corner stands and open-air markets all over the world sell bouquets of fresh flowers
- Candy corn
- Text messages with loved ones
- Acoustic guitar
- Believers in beautiful things
Send me an email, let’s get resisting.
What a beautiful project. 😊
Here we go:
1. I have incredible, and I do mean INCREDIBLE people surrounding me who love me unconditionally.
2. Life has turned out so differently than I ever imagined it. Honestly, it’s better than I ever imagined it.
3. I’m starting a business that I am so excited about, I could explode. So many people have come together to support me in this. The feeling of being believed in is so precious, I cannot describe it.
4. I have beautiful forests just 10-15 minutes away that constantly renew my heart and soul with their beauty.
5. The month of September is here and it’s my absolute favorite. Everything so gently shifts into a state of glory before the winter.
6. I’m laughing a lot these days. And laughter has elevated my heart.
7. Hugs. They are super important and I’ve been blessed by so many of them lately.
8. The amazing animals that have crossed my path lately. This weekend, I had an encounter with a coyote who leapt out of the bushes not 4 feet in front of me, gave me a piercing glance and then ran back into the forest. At this very moment, I can hear a hawk scratching up above. I believe animals have medicine and can help remind us of our own truths.
9. Books! I just recently got back into reading after a long hiatus. My mind feels nourished by the words of so many beautiful humans.
10. Long, hot, showers– not very environmentally sustainable, I’ll admit. But man, what a long hot shower can do for an anxious mind.
This is something that I should do often! What better way to start than with a group of people who also see the good things in life?
1. There are so many great books out there that I can read whenever I want to
2. The Great British Baking Show
3. I have had and will have more opportunities to travel to wonderful new places around the world
4. I’m biased, but I have the two sweetest cats in the world
5. Parents who I know will be there for me and support me no matter what
6. Just an awesome family all around
7. An awesome dinner just waiting in the fridge for me to make it
8. A community of bloggers that supports each other
9. I am finally doing something that I love and writing about my travels and experiences
10. Friends that are awesome people and who inspire my to be my best self every day
Thank you for sharing!
This is a wonderful idea!
This past week:
1. Our joyful snuggly puppy!
2. A wonderful job with great coworkers.
3. The Gathering- dinner with friends and an uplifting message!
4. Bible study with my group of women who are there for me always!
5. Concert at Red Rocks, best venue ever!
6. Dad/Daughter dates for husband and daughters.
7. Photography day trip with my daughter.
8. Morning walk to coffee shop.
9. Farmers market and Fall Art Festival.
10. Family time in God’s beauty of Fall colors in Colorado!
Thank you for contributing!
Beautiful things in the world
1. When the clock hits 12am and you get to start an entire day fresh
2. House plants -greenery IN YOUR OWN HOME! 💃🏼
3. That I get to watch DWTS pros mentoring young kids who have this huge dream to dance just like them!
4. Trader Joe’s and all the pumpkin products they have!!
5. Individuals who willingly share their painful Memories so that someone else can be encouraged and healed from their own.
6. The beautiful stranger who comes to help you when your hands are full of groceries and you can’t open the trunk of your car.
7. My parents unconditional love even in the midst of conflict
Thank you for this list Chelsea!
Hmmm. 5 beautiful things? 🤔
1. I was given enough time to rest and refresh myself. 🙂
2. I started my own blog.
3. I got nice books to read.
4. I got a new job.
5. I have great people surrounding me.